When we think about the way God works in peoples lives, there is one very important fact that we must each come face to face with. No matter who we are or what we may think about ourselves, good or bad, each of us has a unique, divinely ordained calling from God that He has for us to walk in. As followers of Christ it is our responsibility to come close to God, allow Him to heal us, change us and stand us up, so that we can walk out His call on our lives. Today we will look at what the Bible says to us about walking out this call of God on our lives and what that looks like in todays world.
Walking the Call (v1)
What does it mean in the Bible to walk?
- Hebrew - To live, to regulate ones life, to conduct ones self, to pass ones life.
- Greek - To make ones way, progress; to make due use of opportunities.
The Greek word is Peripateoa compound word.
Peri - Around, all-around (on every side); encompassing, used of full (comprehensive) consideration where all the bases are covered (inclusively). (Thayer)
Pateo - To tread, to tread on, to step as to make progress.
To walk - Our walk is our lifestyle.
Understanding the Call (v1) (Defining)
Walk in a manner worthy of your calling vocation.
We are priests 1 Peter 2:9, But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for Gods own posses-
sion, so that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who has called you out of darkness into His marvelous light;
- Because everybody needs a priest!
Nature of the priestly office.
- Implies divine choice.
- Implies representation.
Priests and priestesses to our families and the people we live among.
If you are single you are priest to your family and your friends.
What do priests do?
- They stand in the gap between God and man.
- They intercede for people.
- They offer sacrifices of prayer and thanksgiving.
- They represent Gods salvation to the people they are among.
Living the Call (v2) (Living)
How not to live the call legalism, judgmentalism.
How to live the call.
1. Having a humble opinion of ones self.
2. A deep sense of ones (moral) littleness.
3. Modesty, humbleness, lowliness of mind.
- Gentleness - Mildness of disposition.
- Patience - Perseverance, long-suffering, slow to avenge wrongs.
- Tolerance - To sustain, to bear, to endure.
- Love - Caring for and having affection for others.
The Goal of the Call (v3)
Holding on to unity in our relationships.
- Sticking together, not allowing things to come between us.
Bond - Ligaments that hold the body together.
Peace - Security, safety, prosperity, harmony, (because peace and harmony make and keep things safe and prosperous).
This is the opposite of division and disunity.
So the challenge in front of you and me is for us to take hold of the call of God, understanding that this is a walk, a lifestyle, and that in each of us is the power of almighty God, ready to show the Savior to a lost and dying world in what we do and what we say.
Questions for Thought and Discussion
So how will I answer Gods call? Will I say yes? Will I be a priest to others and allow them to be a priest to me? What steps will I take to walk out this call of God on my life? How will I adjust my lifestyle in order to walk out Gods call?