Jesus said the goal of a disciple is to become like his or her teacher (Mt 10:24, 25). So if we choose to be His disciples then the goal of our lives will be to become like Him, certainly in our attitudes, but also in our actions. But there is an aspect of Jesus life that makes this thought particularly challenging: His ministry was filled with miracles and power. If you ask anyone to describe Jesus ministry on earth they will very soon mention healing, deliverance, raising the dead and miracles like walking on water or turning water into wine. You simply cant escape the fact that our Teacher ministered with power. Which brings us to the question: Was this part of His life unique to Him, and therefore something we should celebrate but not try to imitate, or did He expect us to do the same sort of things as we mature as disciples? Today, well listen to His commands, observe His example and then consider what steps we might take so we might minister in power as He did.
1) Go: He will assign us for a season to a particular place and particular people. (These assignments change Ac 1:8)
2) Preach: Invite people to reach out to God. (Gods miracle power is available right now
- Mt 11:4, 5; Isa 35:5)
3) Minister: Pass on to others what Ive given to you. (We can only give what weve received.)
1) Jesus did everything He did (except the cross) as a Spirit-filled man, not as the second Person of the trinity. This means His life is a model for us. He demonstrates the potential we have through God.
2) What did He do? Mt 9:35
Going; teaching in synagogues and His disciples privately; proclaiming the gospel of the kingdom healing; calling for repentance (Mt 11:30); calling for faith in Him (Mt 9:2-8; Jn 5:17, 18)
as the Father has sent Me, I also send you.; Mt 28:18-20; Act 1:8
you will receive power
What holds us back?
Lack of authority (Lk 9:1; 10:19; Mt 28:18); Lack of personal experience (Mt 10:8); Fear of embarrassment; Fear of disappointing someone and leaving them worse; Lack of modeling: examples that challenge us to step out and do the same; Lack of knowledge: how to pray for healing and deliverance (Why could we not drive it out? - Mk 9:28, 29); Unbelief which prevents people from receiving from God (Mk 6:1-6; Mt 13:53-58)
Where do we start?
1) Take simple steps of faith based on a need you have right now.
Tithing; Sabbath; Healing; Prayer & journal
2) Be baptized in the Holy Spirit (Lk 24:49; Act 1:4-8)
3) Read the gospels and Acts
4) Watch others and talk to them. (Healing ministry; Altar team; MiniChurch pastors)
5) Take the classes offered
6) Step out when God opens a door
7) Maintain a humble attitude
Not: God if you dont heal Ill never try this again
Theres much to learn that cant really be taught, it must be learned by experience
Youll encounter many failures on the way to maturity
We never seem to reach 100% so we all have moments of celebration and moments of sadness thats the price you pay, if you refuse youll never last in these ministries.
8) Be part of a team who supports each other in prayer.
Power ministries should never be practiced alone
Jesus sent disciples 2x2 and then regathered them for debriefing (Lk 10:1, 17)
1) Have you ever personally received a healing? Tell us what happened.
2) Have you ever struggled with the question, why didnt God heal someone? Do you have an answer yet? If not, what has freed you to move on in faith?