God gives our children to us as precious gifts. As parents our deepest desire is to raise them to succeed in life. In this season as summer comes to a close parents are focused on getting their children ready for school. Academics, sports and music are a few of many activities that will become the priority for this coming school year. The question for us is how can we raise children who will embrace Jesus Christ as their Savior and Lord; accept the Bible as truth and as the guide for life; and seek to live in obedience to its principles? Today we will see that next to our relationships with God and our spouses, our childrens spiritual foundation, based on Gods Word, should be the most important priority in our lives.
It is Gods firm desire that His Word be on the hearts of His people and that they should teach these truths diligently to their children.
The parents primary responsibility is to teach their children Gods Word.
There is also a responsibility of the community to pass on the faith to children (Grandparents, Uncles, Aunts, Mentors, Church Family).
How do we teach children diligently? (v7)
#1 Spend time in relationship with them.
- Passing our values on to our children requires relationship with them.
- Gods model for teaching biblical truth to our children implies devoting substantial amounts of quality time in building relationship with each child.
- Your impact on your childrens lives is proportional to the depth of relationship you have fostered with them.
#2 Be an example.
1 Timothy 4:12
be an example to the believers in word, in conduct, in love, in spirit, in faith, in purity.
- Passing biblical values on to our children entails example.
- The love of God and His Word need to be in our hearts first if we are going to teach them to our children.
- We as parents are examples in our habits and character.
- Children learn by our example more than any other way.
#3 Teach the truth.
- Gods Word is truth. (John 17:17)
- We need to teach truth because our world embraces moral relativism.
- God determines right and wrong and will judge it. (Eccl 12:13-14)
- The Bible tells us that there are absolutes and that actions have consequences. (Gal 6:7)
- Disciplining children corrects and teaches. (Prov 19:18)
- Teaching truth and discipline must be done in an environment of grace. (Eph 6:4)
#4 Look for teachable moments.
We have to seize every opportunity to teach biblical truths and godly values to our children.
- Family Devotions, Bible Reading, Prayer
- Solving Problems (peacemakers and problem solvers)
- Dinner Time
The Need for Community
Community can help us as parents to be more effective in teaching our children.
Awana - helps churches and parents work together to develop strong children and youth who faithfully follow Jesus Christ.
Childrens Ministry disciple children, helping them to learn Gods Word in effective ways for each age group as well as to learn to worship.
- Life Groups (helpful for single parents)
- Family (Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, etc)
- Mentors (some of us were not modeled great parenting)
- Parenting classes / workshops
Do you desire to have children grow up to be strong godly men and women? Although there is no guarantee because each person has their own free will, we as parents increase the probability of our childrens devotion to God when we seek to diligently teach them His Word and ways every chance we get. When we consistently water them with His Word, when we make our home a place of love and put them in environments of grace where they receive prayer and exposure to Jesus, chances are they will grow into godly adults. When we weed out that which seeks to drain life from them through distractions and empty pursuits they will grow. God wouldnt ask us to do something we are incapable of. With Him all things are possible.
Raise up a child in the way he should go, even when he is old he will not depart from it. Proverbs 22:6