This past Wednesday summer officially ended and autumn began. We entered a new season. For me September is really the time when a new year begins. We move from the slow, relatively relaxed pace of summer to schedules full of activity. We all probably face this change with mixed feelings, but the challenge to step back into the mainstream of life is a good one so long as we understand theres purpose behind what were doing.
Today Id like to prepare for the year ahead by considering the main purpose behind what we do together as a church. What are our goals and how do we intend to reach them? Knowing the answer to these questions will help us focus our time, resources and energies on things that really matter, rather than things that dont. So lets look again at the assignment Jesus has given us and some of the ways were trying to do what Hes asked. And while youre listening my prayer is that God will stir up the dreams Hes placed in your heart about how He wants you to serve Him. And hopefully youll find it in yourself to joyfully rise up and embrace afresh the life to which Hes called you (Php 3:12, 14; He 12:1).
THE GREAT COMMISSION: Mt 28:18-20
- I have all authority
- Therefore this is what I command you to do:
What: Intentionally seek unbelievers.
- Find a way that works for you.
- This should be done personally and corporately.
Where: Acts 1:8
- Remotest parts of the earth
- Local and foreign missions
- Kids Club
- Sports Outreach
- Thanksgiving Outreach
- Christmas Toy Drive
- Food Pantry
- Prayer walking
- Church planting
- Baptize: initiate people into new life
- Clearly, lovingly present the demands of Christ so the Holy Spirit can convict and the person can choose.
- The new birth (repentance, faith, full surrender)
- Water baptism (public declaration of entering a life of discipleship)
- Baptism of the Holy Spirit (equipped for spiritual ministry)
- Special services
- Careful invitations
Definition: A disciple is a person who obeys the commands of Christ.
a. What He has commanded us to do.
b.How to obey these commands.
- Provide support
Steps to be taken:
- Preach through His commands.
- Learn how to live out these commands so each of us can give practical help to others.
- Provide opportunities for believers to gather and support one another.
- Remember: We need each other. Successful life change is most easily done as part of a community we learn to obey together.
1. Have you accepted Jesus call to be His disciple? When did this decision first take place?
2. Mention a time when God used you to reach out to an unbeliever.
3. Has God placed a dream in your heart about how He wants you to serve Him? If He has, would you be willing to share it with us? (Thought: When those who wish to have shared their dream it would be good to pray for them before closing).